Why employees hates performance appraisal
I/ Why almost employees hates performance appraisal?
1. Lack of information about the purpose of appraisal
Many employees are not even aware that a good or bad appraisal can impact their career prospects.
2. Time consuming process:
The highly complex questions which they have no answers to or highly complex competencies which they have never heard of confuse them.
3. Difficulty in writing appraisals:
Many employees have poor language skills and they are unable to communicate their performance in right language and support with data.
4. Lack of faith in the appraisal process:
Employee think that his/her manager doesn’t write appraisals based on employee’s performance but bias his/her decisions based on their personal relations with employees.
5. Lack of feedback after appraisal:
Many companies do not provide feedbacks to employees on their performance.
II/ How to decrease hating of employee?
1. HR manager should clearly define the purpose of appraisals to employees and to managers.
2. Train employees on writing appraisals: Another key to make employee appraisals effective is to provide training to employees on appraisal writing skills.
3. Provide effective feedback: After an appraisal is done, let employees have a copy of the appraisal, then you let them know how it impacted their salary, compensation and career.
4. Employees should be involved in appraisal process.